Curt Fonger - News Anchor, Spokesman, Voice Pro
I have been communicating with audiences by radio, television and, now, the Internet for 40 years. For the past 22 years, I have anchored and reported for WPEC CBS12 in West Palm Beach.
WPEC CBS 12 (Freedom Communications) West Palm Beach, FL News Anchor/Reporter 1989-2011
Whenever WPEC faced a daunting task, I had an opportunity to innovate and succeed
- When the station started the first 5 pm newscast in the market, I developed Live at Five, wrote and anchored it. The other local stations followed our success.
- When WFLX FOX29 contracted with WPEC to produce a precedent-setting, shared-newsroom, hour-long, primetime newscast, I was asked to shape the concept as well as write and anchor. The Ten O’clock News became the most profitable news program for both stations and set off a rush of similar agreements in markets across America.
- When the newsroom needed someone to deal with the complexities of medicine and NASA, I invented The Med Report and reported live on twenty Space Shuttle missions. The Fox Newsreel was my creation and boosted end-of-show ratings. Perhaps surprisingly, John Denver was my favorite interview on my usually hard-hitting weekly Eye on South Florida.
- When the station launched the first 7 pm newscast in the market, I was on the anchor desk for CBS12 News Live at Seven which enjoys unique success.
- When WPEC explored the possibilities of cbs12.com, I was given the task to format, produce and anchor twice-daily CBS12 Nowcasts which built web traffic.
- For a time, WPEC encouraged blogs. I continue writing fongerfile.blogspot.com.
WKRG TV Mobile, AL - News Anchor/Reporter
WOOD TV Grand Rapids, MI - News Director/Anchor/Reporter/Producer
FIRST OF MICHIGAN CORPORATION Kalamazoo, MI - Stockbroker
WKPR AM Kalamazoo, MI - News Director
I invest considerable time making Hannah’s Home (for unwed mothers) a success. (The Curt Fonger Golf Tournament for Hannah’s Home raises tens of thousands of dollars.) I work with the boards of many organizations regarding fundraising, public relations strategy and speaking---including the local Boys and Girls Clubs, Food For The Poor, Fair Housing Center of the Greater Palm Beaches, the Suncoast Community High School Foundation, Maltz Jupiter Theatre, Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Museum, Pathways to Independence, Loxahatchee Guild, and the Arthur R. Marshall Foundation.
I am a member of the Chamber of Commerce of the Palm Beaches.
Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Honors College at Western Michigan University as a Sangren Scholar
Member of WMU’s Outstanding Alumni Academy
Like most broadcasters, I have won awards. Unlike most others, I have reported from Central America, The People’s Republic of China, Japan and The Republic of Korea. I have done standup comedy at the Improv in West Palm Beach. The Arthur R. Marshall Foundation (saving the Everglades) made me a Lifetime Member. I am a golfer and bridge player. My Curt’s My Tie sauce is a renowned hot sauce that I give to friends and charitable causes.
My website is www.curtfonger.com which includes links to my current Voiceover work, Facebook, Linked In, and my Fonger File blog. I have more than 200 followers on Twitter and 3500 Facebook friends.